Monday, May 12, 2008

Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day! This is my second Mother's Day and I still don't really feel like a mom. :) How strange that I am a mother of such a sweet little boy - I never thought I would get here....and I must say, it is even better than I imagined.
Not that motherhood is not without it's struggles. Our senior pastor, Dan Kirk, preached an EXCELLENT sermon on Mother's Day Sunday. It happens that we are in Hebrews 11 - the "hall of faith". Pastor Dan took us to 11:7 for the message and what an encouraging verse it is! Noah had an incredible task given to him by God. In Gen 6-9 we read the story of Noah and how God asked him, in the midst of all the evil and sinfulness in the world, to build and ark. Noah was not a shipbuilder, nor was he anywhere near water - he was a farmer. But Noah found favor with God; he walked with God, even in the middle of the total depravity of man that was all around him. Pastor Dan applied this to our lives by asking, "Do you ever feel that what God is asking you to do is impossible? Is the "ark" He is asking you to build looking like an unimaginable task?" In my heart I thought about being a mother and how impossible it seems sometimes and how hard it can be. Sometimes I wonder if I really can be a good mom....between my selfishness and my pride I know I fail all too often. I wonder if Noah ever felt that way....that there is probably someone better for this task. But we note Noah's response....he responded with faithfulness, never questioning God, never complaining, just obeying.
So, ladies and mothers of all ages, the question we need to ask ourselves is - do you trust God? And how are you going to respond to the "ark" that He has for you? It may be raising your children in the Lord, it may be more. We must remember that God will never ask us to do something that He will not provide for. I want to approach the tasks that God has planned out for me to do with the same faithfulness as Noah did. I hope you will pray along with me for the strength, courage and trust to do that very thing. Happy Mother's Day!









4 Comments:

At May 15, 2008 at 2:13 PM , Blogger jeanna said...

What sweet thoughts and pictures of you and Peter. Being a mother is hard and wonderful all at the same time. I have learned to lean on the gospel more than ever before being a mom. I am thankful that God is using my precious children to sanctify me, and I continue to pray that they are seeing me love our Savoir everyday through all we do.

 
At May 16, 2008 at 9:05 AM , Blogger S+S Kline said...

Oh Keri!! I LOVE these pictures of you and Peter! Soooo precious and you look beautiful! Thanks for the encouragement from God's Word. I feel the same inadequacies so often, so it's good to have my thoughts brought back to what is true. Love you and miss you!

 
At May 20, 2008 at 9:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

what sweet photos. keri, you look beautiful :)

 
At June 1, 2008 at 10:54 PM , Blogger Kristen said...

Thank you for sharing that story and sharing your insight. I feel like that too..I am so blessed to be a mommy!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home