Thursday, August 11, 2011

Virtual Tour of Lady Jane's room!


Well, it's finished!!  Her room was a 5 month work in progress, but we made it just in time.  We have one week until her birthday so we are cutting it kind of close!  Here is a tour of her room in pictures because I realize that many of you will not be able to visit for many weeks if not months.  I am really proud of her room. God was very gracious to us and provided many things to make her room special.  Pretty much everything in her room has a story behind it - and I can't wait to share it all with you.  Read on!
 View from the door....

 The chandelier was a gift from Nana and Pa Osterberg.  So glamorous and girly, I just love it!  Thank you both for shedding light into her life!  :)
 The crib is the one that my Grandmother, Corrie bought for Peter.  Justin slept in it too....we just painted it white for Jane.  I love that all three of my children slept in the same crib! And it converts to a toddler bed and then to a twin sized head board so we will have it for many years to come.  And the fact that it came from such a sweet and loving person makes it all the more special.  I think of Corrie every time I lay down the kids to sleep.  The canopy was a gift from Gramma (my mom) and the sweet blanket was Calynn's; Brent's cousin's baby girl.  The bumpers I found at Goodwill for $3.00 (!) and the skirt my mom and I found at a garage sale for $1.00. It is a twin size so she can use it for years to come.  I can't believe how well it all matches coming from so many different places!
 Her dresser belonged to Aunt Courtney (Brent's sis).  It was brown, but I sanded it, primed it and painted it white. Shew!  A ton of work, but worth every minute.  I even repainted and distressed the hardware on the drawers.  It came out so well!  The cute letters were made by cool Aunt Jessica, my sis.  She is so creative!  I love how it has that girly flare, but a touch of vintage too.  I can't imagine how long it must have taken her to do, but I know each minute was spent in love.  :)
 The lamp belonged to my grandmother, Gwendolyn, whom I never got to meet but I hear she was a spectacular lady.  The picture frame I found at Goodwill and spray painted it to match the color scheme.  My sister took me out to Botanic Gardens at about 22 weeks and took some really beautiful maternity photos.  Here is one framed with Jane's sono picture.  The book in the middle is a wonderful children's book based on Proverbs 31 for little girls....enough to make any mother weep.  :)  The little purple box has a cute story.  There was a hobby shop near our house growing up called "Hiedi's".  My dad loved to build model railroads - still does- and when my mom would go out with my aunt Diane sometimes we would go to Heidi's.  One time Dad told me I could pick out a little present just for me from him.  I picked this little box.  :)  It sat on my dresser for years growing up and now it will sit on my daughter's.  So special!  The candle was used at my baby shower and the stand I bought at Goodwill and painted/distressed it to match the decor.
 The corner shelves I also got at Goodwill for about $1.50 a piece.  They were blue....you guessed it, I spray painted them to match the room.  The figurine we bought when we were pregnant with Peter....the picture frame I got from Goodwill and painted....it will hold a family picture after she is here.  The little booties were the cake topper to the cake at my baby shower.  The growth chart...yep...I bought at Goodwill for $1.00 and I painted white then stenciled.  It holds her sono pics now, but I'm sure I will changed them out.

 I love the curtains!  The fabric was $30.00 a yard....so all the fabric I needed added up to like $90.00....but with a coupon and right timing I hit the JoAnn store and got it all for about $30.00.  Whoohoo! I love a good deal!  So I hemmed up the sides and hung them.....
 I lined the bottom of the curtains with pieces from my wedding dress.
 Here is a close up of the fabric.  It is this very delicate stitching of flowers in a pretty cream color.  Perfect.
 Above the window hangs the banner my friend Laura made, which also hung at the baby shower.  Didn't she capture the vintage/ shabby chic look perfectly?!

 The rocker was the one my mom rocked me in for many, many nights.....the baby doll was my favorite as a little girl - Baby Rachel.  The pillow is also made from my wedding dress.  I figured I would rather her have it in her room this way than save it for years and years hoping she will wear it.  Too many factors such as size, style, and season depend on it being handed down successfully.  This way we can see and enjoy the memory of it every day.  The sweet blanket was made for me by one of my dear Sunday students that has since graduated from my class; Katharine Long.  She has made a blanket for all three of my children.

 Adorable dress!!  My sweet friend Emily gave it to Jane.  I think it is perfect - so girly, so feminine.  I will probably have a picture taken of her in it at some point, but right now I think it adds the perfect touch to the room. Emily has such a great eye for all things sweet. Hard to believe she will be so tiny as to fit into it.
 The vanity was a gift from Gramma and Papa Jon Butcher.  SO CUTE!  Every girl needs a place to sit and comb her hair, listen to music, and hopefully study her Bible one day.  This is perfect.  What a timeless touch to the room and the perfect thing to have for years to remind her of her grandparents.  The picture frame, painted to match, will hold her foot print picture in a few days.  The pitcher belonged to my sister in Christ, Annie Dorin.  She is currently on the mission field with her family....at language school in France then off to Africa.  Annie is such a special friend in my life and this is a wonderful way to remember her and her family and to remember to pray for them as they serve Jesus across the sea.  The little book was made by the same  friend, Laura, that made the banner.  Laura is my crafty, yet incredibly humble friend.  She always has a fun project up her sleeve and I have benefited many times from her creativity!  The little pink milk glass bowl I bought in Austin on vacation this summer.
Lastly is her shelf....bought it black, painted it white.  The bird house was just cute and at Hobby Lobby...the sign was made with love by our sweet piano player at church, Marcia.  She just recently discovered her gift of making adorable signs and Jane was one of the first recipients!  I think she should go into business, don't you? In fact I have already lined her up to make a scripture sign for the boy's room!  The ballet shoes were the first thing we bought for Jane when we found out she was a girl.  Hehe!

 One more detail is this necklace I made.  I got the idea for these cute little things at the Ft Worth Indie Bazaar...it is made from a Scrabble tile and some scrapbook paper...add a sticker and a loop to the back and you have an adorable homemade piece of jewelry.  I want to wear this during her birth and then pass it on to her later.  If they won't let me wear it in surgery, Brent can just keep it in his pocket and I'll put it on after.  I love adding personal touches.
 It would be unfair of me not to show you the boy's room too.  I redid most of it before I did Jane's....and I must say I'm just as proud of it.  The matching comforters are from Gramma and Papa Jon....
 ...the baseball picture of our home town stadium is from Nana and Pa.  I liked the bed sheets that I picked for the bed so much that I bought an extra one and made the window valance.
 I wanted shelves above the bed, but boy are they expensive!  So Brent and I raided the scrap bin at Home Depot and found two matching pieces.  All it took was some brackets and some blue spray paint to finish it off - voila!  Custom shelving!
 Gramma bought the cute star lamps from Ikea and they each have a book by their name sake authors : C.S. Lewis for Peter and Charles Spurgeon for Justin.
 I wanted to be able to show off their artwork without giving up the space on my fridge....so a few furniture knobs and picture hanging wire later, we have a way to showcase their work and make it look neat.  I just love it when a plan comes together!

The baseball shelf got a fresh coat of paint to match the other shelves and we added hat hooks.  On the shelf at the top in the middle you can see Peter's first t-ball trophy and a few pictures of him in action on each side. My big boy!

Well that's all for now, I will post pics of our new living room as soon as we are done....I still need to build a few book shelves for the wall and hang a few more pictures.  Thank you for reading this far - I know it was a long post.  But I want to say again - to GOD be the glory for all the ways He has blessed us, including this beautiful home that we love and precious children to fill the rooms.  We are blessed.

1 Comments:

At August 12, 2011 at 3:37 PM , Blogger Wendy said...

Keri: What a beautiful room you and Brent prepared for Jane! Loved the boys' room too. Your loving care for her arrival reminds of John 14: 1-4...Praying for you all.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home