Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Another baby step...


I will admit it.  When I opened my eyes on the morning of my birthday I thought, "Today is MY day.  I'm going to do whatever I want and I'm not doing any work."  So I stayed in bed a little longer than usual.  The kids got up and things proceeded normally.  For about 10 minutes.  Justin wanted to take a bath.  That's fine.  Some more peace for me as the boys would be separated.  Then Justin started to scream and I realized as I came into the bathroom that he had pooped in the tub.  Not just a little bit.  I just stood there, blinking.
"Really, Lord?  Really?"  I said out loud.  "This is really how I'm supposed to spend the morning?  A woman should have flowers, pedicures, and Dr Pepper on her birthday.  Not bath tubs full of poop!  I should NOT have to clean up poop on my birthday!"  I was mad.  I got Justin out, dressed, then went to tackle the bathtub.  I almost left it for Brent to clean up when he got home....but as I cleaned I realized that this was an opportunity to put myself after my children.  That this was a chance to humbly stay in the role of Mommy that God had chosen for me.  Birthdays are not excuses to lay down all responsibilities and become someone new for a day.  So, for my birthday, the Lord gave me a wonderful gift.  The gift of an opportunity to be more like him as I did something that was very low on my list of desires.  Through this situation I was granted the grace to 'count it all joy', love my child and be reminded of how much Christ was a servant.  So happy birthday to me, and here's to one more baby step toward Christ likeness.

The rest of the birthday was wonderful.  Full of laughter, unexpected time with my sister, and lots of hugs and cards. I am blessed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home