I am so excited that my latest DIY project is done. I wanted to have a very specific scripture in the boy's room...so I quickly found that I would have to just make something. I got this idea from Marcia Whiting and her sweet girls, Tori, Kathy and Stephanie. They made Jane one for her room. So I tried my hand at it. Here is the finished product and the process follows:
I got a piece of wood from Home Depot - $5.
My sister came over and we painted one coat of a light paint and one coat of dark. Then she suggested that I use a little water to give it a washed and distressed look. (She made one too, I will try and sneak a pic and put it up) :)
Then I cut out the letters on my Cricut and got them where I wanted them. This was the hardest part. You who know me know that I have a mental block against straight lines!
I traced the letters with pencil then went back and filled them in with paint. The edges are really hard to do...so we are going to say it looks "rustic". Lol.
Then I gave it a big sanding with sand paper...again because I wanted it to be rustic and "old" looking.
I attached a backer....
...and hung it up! I like the way it turned out...I learned a lot of lessons and I think my next one will look even better. :)
I have also been sanding, painting, and distressing old Goodwill furniture...I wish I had before pics. But these are the after. You can click on the pic to see more details. I think they look much prettier in person, but oh well. This is the one for Brent's side...
..and this is the one for my side. Each table was only about 10 dollars. I think they now look like something cute we may have picked up in Fredericksburg. :)
View from the door. I'm still not completely happy with our room, but this is a great step in the right direction!